Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Why? Blogging Is My Thing!

My blog seems to be an object of curiosity and mystery for those who know me. "Why do you blog?" they ask. "Why do you put your ideas and opinions out there for anybody to judge?" ask others. A very good friend recently wrote me in an email:

I am really trying to get my bearings on the concept of a whole life outside my family (and work) but still within myself. A sort of emerging from the fog of mommy-dom- does that make sense...Is that why you blog? Does it keep you sane?

Yes, my dear friend, that makes perfect sense. I'm right there with ya. And Yes, I think that is why I blog. It is writing, which I enjoy and do not have time to pursue in a paid format. It is not required of me, it’s optional not imposed, which is nice. On my blog, I can be a little cheeky and controversial, which I rarely get to be at home or work (eye rolling accepted here). It’s a separate space that’s all me and people can take it or leave it.

Insanity has been defined as continuing to do the same thing but expecting a different result (einstein?). I think too often, women continue to put everything and everybody else first, do what we're expected to do, then wonder what happened to our 'selves.' This is by no measure a 'fault' or shortcoming. It's a reflection of the reality of usually shouldering a greater role of caretaking and household management.

I believe everybody has something special to contribute to culture beyond those things which are required of them or for which they get paid.... that each person possesses their own 'thing' that is uniquely theirs, that they enjoy, that makes them feel connected to society in a world in a meaningful way, separate from what others ask them to do or make them do. Some people know what their thing is from day one. Some people spend a lot of time searching for it.

I'm not saying blogging is my end-all-be-all 'thing' but it is one of my 'things' for now and yes, it helps keep me sane. What is your thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment